NAEYC & DEC Ideals in Early Childhood Field
I-1.1—To be familiar with the knowledge base of early childhood care and education and to stay informed through continuing education and training.
This NAEYC code upholds everything I do in my field. My job is to train new employees and I am constantly encouraging other educators to continue their education through free classes or through obtaining their online degree. To continue to educate yourself in the new methods of early education or even to refresh your memory on the techniques you learned when entering the field, you are investing in yourself and in turn investing in your students.
******************************************************************************
I-1.10—To ensure that each child’s culture, language, ethnicity, and family structure are recognized and valued in the program.
This is another NAEYC code which I uphold in school and in life. It is vital that all families feel welcomed into my classroom and into every classroom. At my current job birthdays or holidays are not celebrated, which would give respect towards families who do not celebrate holidays but what about families who do? When entering into the program I accepted and understood why we do not celebrate it, but once my daughter went into a daycare center that does not celebrate these holiday’s I was a bit offended. I didn’t understand why, as a first-time mother, nothing was done to celebrate Mother’s Day or Father’s Day. It took me by surprise and made me think of families in the program I work for. How is respect of all cultures and family structures included in taking these major holidays and celebrations out of our schools?
I do understand why and will still uphold classrooms to the standards of our agency, but I would love to know how families feel about this rule.
******************************************************************************
PROFESSIONAL PRACTICE 5.
We shall use individually appropriate assessment strategies
including multiple sources of information such as observations, interviews with
significant caregivers, formal and informal assessments to determine children’s
learning styles, strengths, and challenges.
This is a code in The Division for Early Childhood Code of Ethics. I came from a program that did enforce assessments but as a form of completion of paperwork. As I enter a new organization I see the huge importance and impact assessments have on properly developing students in their individual needs. It is also vital on keeping parents in the “loop” of their child’s progress and development.
******************************************************************************
References
NAEYC.
(2005). Code of ethical conduct and statement of commitment.
Retrieved from
http://www.naeyc.org/files/naeyc/file/positions/PSETH05.p df
The Division for Early Childhood. (2000). Code of ethics. Retrieved from
http://www.dec-sped.org/
The Division for Early Childhood. (2000). Code of ethics. Retrieved from
http://www.dec-sped.org/



Comments
Post a Comment