Skip to main content

Birthing Experience


·       Write about a personal birthing experience. It can be your own birth, your child's birth, or one you took part in. What do you remember about the event? Why did you choose this example? What are your thoughts regarding birth and its impact on child development?
           
Elena Y. B. was born September 19, 2017. When asked what I remember about the event, I remember everything. I remember her being 41 weeks and having to be induced. I remember the pitocin beginning at 8:00am September 18th and having a C-section the next day at 8:30 pm. I remember the nurses struggling to put the IV in my arm all the way up to holding my daughter close to me when being rolled out of the operating room. I remember the days following her birth, I could not sleep. I would sleep possibly 2 hours each day, but I was scared of SIDS and I would watch her sleep.

Being pregnant I remember hesitating with everything I would put in my body. I was so aware of the prenatal development that any shots that was recommended by the doctor, or any food that I would eat at restaurant, I had to look it up online, call my friends who has kids, or talk it over with my husband. I quit my job to reduce the stress it was causing me and assured the milk I would drink had DHA. I was a first-time mom aware and slightly paranoid of the impact prenatal development had on child development.  

When it came to the actual birth, and all the medication that went along with it, I knew that I would take what was recommended by the doctor to assure my daughter was safe and I too could manage the pain of labor. I also recall when others would mention getting an epidural they would say it as:

"If you are ready to tap out there is no shame in getting an epidural." or 
"Don't feel like your a bad mother if you chose to get an epidural."
or 
"Don't listen to everything they tell you about an epidural. Use what you need."



·       Choose a region of the world or a country, other than the U.S., and find out how births happen there. Write about what you learned, and the differences and similarities with your experience (in the personal example you provided). What additional insights, if any, about the impact of the birthing experience on development, did you gain from this comparison?

Looking into research of birth in other countries, I came across a few interesting facts:
In Uganda,”
Birth is everybody’s business, not a private family matter. The highest honor is reserved for women who deliver naturally and alone; a C-section is seen by the entire community as a failure. If a woman dies during pregnancy or childbirth, it’s viewed as her own fault, a result of her weakness.” (Davis, L. S. (n.d.))

In Korea, according to Lisa Selin Davis, “Koreans prize stoicism, and women are expected to withstand the sensations of childbirth and not express pain. Instead of pain medication, they tend to use methods like aromatherapy, acupressure and music to reduce both the pain and the anxiety about the pain. (Davis, L. S. (n.d.))

A lot of belief in other countries of medication, such as epidural, used in the birthing process connects to the view of strength in the women. In the USA there may be a slight stigma against mothers getting the epidural because of the long-term effect it may have on the child or on the mother. Today I see more and more births being performed at home and more natural births being performed in hospitals.


Reference
            Davis, L. S. (n.d.) Birth and Maternal Health Around the World. Retrieved from https://www.parenting.com/pregnancy/birth-maternal-health

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Elsie's Childhood Web

Let me start my Childhood Web with my older sister Rebecca and my younger brother Joseph . I was the middle child and was always the child that looked at what my sister was doing that I shouldn't do. I was also the one that had to be there for my brother. These two shaped my childhood because they were part of me. When I needed help in school or I got in trouble my teachers would walk me over to my sisters classroom to have a "chat." I in turn helped my brother with his school work and became his personal tutor. He was a big influence in me becoming a teacher.  I was very family oriented so all my influences and the people who nurtured me, cared about me, and made me feel special came from my immediate family. Above is a photo of my family before my younger brother came into the picture a few years later. I was 4 years old here, and this was a few months before I entered into preschool. My father was the one who would come up with fun learning activities for m...

Breastfeeding for Educators (U.S. Compared to the U.K)

Breastfeeding   When becoming a mother, I never had a second thought about breastfeeding. It was a natural thing that occurred between mother and child. I would hear stories of some women’s breastfeeding journeys and the ease or difficulty of keeping up with the needs of their child. I would have never thought that this would be a problem for me until it was. I had to stop breastfeed my daughter when she was 7 months old because I couldn’t keep up with my job and produce enough milk to feed my child for the next day at her daycare. This added more stress and effected my milk flow which ultimately caused me to call it quits. It was more difficult afterwards since my daughter had a milk-based allergy and the formula she could drink cost me $80 a week. Her insurance gave me the run around and ultimately wouldn’t cover the cost of formula and if I wanted to be successful at my job I needed to spend less time trying to find places to pump and store my milk and more time in the clas...
My Husband and I in preschool, entering kindergarten. So young and so impressionable.